ACT-IAC Federal Insights Exchange featuring DHS Cloud Forecast Update
Last year, Department of Homeland Security (DHS) participated in a panel for a Federal Insight Exchange event that provided a cloud forecast. This panel will include pathfinders from the components and orchestrators from headquarters. DHS recently released a Request for Information (RFI) to get industry perspective on moving to the cloud migration, IT compute and storage modernization, and data center optimization. That RFI included more information on the DHS cloud strategy. In March 2019, DHS received over 100 responses offering ideas on optimizing DC1 and moving out of DC2 to a future hybrid IT, multi-cloud approach. This RFI is an important step on the broad-based, component-led, DHS-wide adoption and move to the cloud that has been well underway for several years. Both government and industry can learn from DHS’s process in moving to the cloud.
Key learning points from this session include:
- Explain the current approach for accelerating DHS’s move to the cloud,
- Define the government’s point of view on the future of cloud migration, IT compute and storage modernization, and data center optimization,
- Share early findings from the review of industry responses to the RFI,
- Provide a working timeline for key milestones; and
- Describe the current vision for the Department’s shift to IT as a service, including the integration of future cloud contracts with DHS OneNet and other IT contracts on the horizon.
This event is a joint program sponsored by the FIE and Acquisition COI. Information about these ACT/IAC organizations are in the links below.
- Link for Federal Insights Exchange (FIE) – Brings industry and government together for short-duration programs to exchange information, solve issues, and build partnerships and trust, thereby enhancing the government’s ability to serve the nation’s citizenry.
- Link for IT Modernization COI - Advises and equips government with best practices and lessons learned focused on strengthening IT management and implementation and accelerating legacy IT modernization.
- Link to 2018 DHS Cloud Forecast – Provided insight into the future of cloud at DHS, key objectives, target outcomes and ideas on how industry can participate.
- Link to February 2019 RFI Notice – Requests insights from industry to address two main components: (1) modernizing and migrating infrastructure and applications in DC2 and (2) optimizing and managing infrastructure and applications in DC1. Commercial CSPs, other government-owned anchor points, and other data centers including hybrid or private clouds are candidates for DHS’s future hybrid IT, multi-cloud approach.